With the tangy taste of lemon and dried cranberries, enhanced with sweet maple syrup and a dash of wheat germ (for extra added nutrition), this lovely vegan Lemony Maple Cranberry Muffins from Jazzy Vegetarian’s Deliciously Vegan is totally tasty!
- 11/4 cups nondairy milk
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 2 medium lemons; zest the lemons first, before squeezing)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup toasted wheat germ
- 11/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ⅔ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup sweetened dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Liberally coat a 12-cup standard muffin tin with vegan margarine. Put the nondairy milk and the lemon juice into a small bowl or pitcher, and let
- stand while preparing the batter.
- To make the batter, put the flour, wheat germ, baking powder and baking soda into a large bowl and stir with a dry whisk until combined. Add the lemon zest and stir with the whisk to combine. Add the brown sugar and briskly whisk to combine. (There will be little flecks of the brown sugar still visible in the flour mixture, but that is fine).
- Add the maple syrup, water, olive oil and nondairy milk/lemon mixture, and stir with a large spoon to combine. Fold the cranberries into the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Put the muffin tin on a wire rack and loosen the sides of the muffins with a knife. Let the muffins cool for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the muffins and put them directly on the wire rack. Let cool 5 minutes and serve. Covered tightly and stored in the refrigerator, leftover muffins will keep for about 3 days.
Originaly posted on Source by Laura Theodore