VegNews recipe contributor and meals photographer Jackie Sobon is the mastermind behind our September+October cowl picture that includes a towering vegan breakfast sandwich. She sat down with us to offer us an inside glimpse at how she tackles a canopy shoot. Be positive to get your copy of the difficulty here!
1. Most of the quilt work that I’ve performed for VegNews has been what I might think about outdoors of my wheelhouse, sooner or later. Never really feel discouraged by making an attempt one thing new … it’s possible you’ll be nice at it!
2. Have backups for the meals you’re creating. Nothing is worse than having one thing go improper after which having to shutdown the shoot to run an errand and begin the entire thing over.
3. When taking pictures meals, recent ingredients with shiny colours is finest! Your ultimate product begins with choosing out the appropriate produce and different accompaniments on the retailer or restaurant.
4. Dry meals is unappetizing. Be conscious to maintain observe of how your meals is “growing old” if you’re taking pictures it. Keep your meals trying good with spritzes of water or brushes of cooking oil the place you’re feeling it crucial.
5. Make positive you cowl your entire bases earlier than shutting down your shoot. For instance, a cake will be shot complete, with a slice taken out subsequent to it, simply the slice, or perhaps a slice with a chunk out of it! It’s a lot simpler to shoot it whereas it’s available than attempt to recreate it later.
6. Using synthetic merchandise to make meals look good just isn’t my jam. I hate being wasteful, even composting my kitchen scraps, and recycling the merchandise that I can. Just know that you could make meals look wonderful with out that “glue” milk trick used for cereal!
7. Being detail-oriented will solely enable you when styling and taking pictures covers. While some crumbs or cracks are simple to repair in Photoshop, get as a lot as you possibly can on-point whereas taking pictures to keep away from spending plenty of time fixing it later.
8. Even with as a lot meals images as I’ve styled and shot within the final 7 years—11 cookbooks, a number of magazines, and merchandise for a lot of firms, plus some eating places—I discover that it’s finest to by no means get too comfy. Always really feel a bit stress, all the time be studying, and attempt to push your self to be higher and revolutionary all the time. This is the way you acclimate to new traits and last more as a meals photographer.
Jackie Sobon (veganyackattack.com) is writer of Vegan Yack Attack On the Go!, a blogger, and a meals photographer.